Monday, March 19, 2012

Harper's Birth Story

There is so many details I had to leave out because if I didnt this post would be REALLY long. The whole childbirth process was amazing. I am looking forward to doing it all again some day.

Psalm 127:3-5

 3 Children are a heritage from the LORD,
   offspring a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
   are children born in one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man
   whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
   when they contend with their opponents in court. 


Last picture of my belly before Harper arrived. This is Sunday, 5 days before she was born.
On Tuesday December 13th, I went in for my weekly doctor visit and I had no progress. The doctor said I might have started to thin out but no dilation. I was very discouraged as I was extremely uncomfortable.  And had quit sleeping this week.

Wednesday December 14th (my parents 31st wedding anniversary),  I went to work for a full day. And every day we joked, "well maybe ill see you tomorrow".  I also went to church that night and had a class of 5 students which is a good crowd for us. I was extremely uncomfortable and stood the whole time we had class. I was too uncomfortable to sit.  Once of the sweet ladies at church put me on the prayer list.  That night around 10pm. I started having a terrible backache. I tried to go to bed with a heating pad but nothing seemed to ease the pain.  I took 2 hot baths and a shower trying to get some relief but none was in sight.  It was a terrible night for me as I moved back and forth from the bed, to the couch, to the bathroom. I started timing these pains and they were around 15 minutes apart.

Thursday December 15th,  around 4am I woke David up and said I don't know when but we are going to the doctor today because I am in too much pain. He said wake me up when you are ready to go. Around 7am I said I think we should go. At this point we didn't know what was going on but I was in severe pain in my lower back.  We were almost too scared to even call our parents but on the way to St Vincent Hospital in Little Rock, we decided we should give them a heads up. But we wouldn't let them tell anyone in case they sent me home. On the way to the hospital my contractions were about 5 minutes apart.When we got to the hospital they gave me a delivery room and checked to see if I was dilated. I was at a 2. The doctor wanted me to walk around for an hour and see if I progressed and if I did I was in an active labor instead of early labor. Let me tell you that hour was the longest hour of my life.  At the end of the hour I needed a wheel chair to get back to the room because my back was hurting so bad. They checked me and I was at a 3. Hallelujah! They are going to keep me and What did you say? I can have my epidural? YESSSS!! This was around 11am. At this point the rest of the day was a blur. It was so exciting as family and friends came and most importantly I was going to meet my baby girl this day.

Around 7pm was the nurses shift change. Then came in Kim Browning. She had graduated with David's parents and she would be there to take care of Harper and I.  About this time I had an extreme amount of pressure in my pelvic area and I was dilated to a 10 and I could no longer take it and I pushed. POP there goes my water, finally! This baby is coming soon :D We started pushing around 7:15.  I was put on oxygen for the baby's heart rate was dropping. They pulled out the forceps and vacuum. I told myself at that point its time to get to business. My precious angel entered the world at 7:39 PM. As the doctor laid her on my chest  I couldn't believe this was my beautiful baby. She was 8lbs and 6oz and 21 1/2 inches long.  Our family of  2 was now 3.

 We spent two nights in the hospital. When we left we weren't sure if they should send us home with this tiny precious baby. But we made it! We have had our problems with sleepless nights, reflux, poor latch, constipation, and now teething. But I cant remember my life before Harper and I love being a mommy.  I seriously thank God for her multiple times a day. Words cannot express our love for this little angel.

Yours in Christ, 
Little Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment